Philosophy Humphrey Chair Colloquium: Feb. 10, 2017

Vicki Brett vbrett at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 1 16:09:56 EST 2017

You are invited to attend a lecture by Dr. Heidi Grasswick, who holds the Humphrey Professorship in Feminist Philosophy<https://uwaterloo.ca/philosophy/visiting-professorships> in the Philosophy Department at the University of Waterloo for the Winter 2017 term.  Dr. Grasswick is an eminent feminist epistemologist and philosopher of science whose research explores the links between ethics and knowledge production, as well as how people can be responsible inquirers. She is the George Nye and Anne Walker Boardman Professor of Mental and Moral Science at Middlebury College. In addition to authoring numerous publications, she has also served as the President for the Society for Analytical Feminism and the Canadian Society of Women in Philosophy.

Dr. Heidi Grasswick<http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/phil/faculty/node/16021>
George Nye and Anne Walker Boardman Professor of Mental and Moral Science
Middlebury College

Trust, Science, and Epistemic Injustice
Heidi Grasswick

Scientific communities and experts are potentially important sources of knowledge for all of us in society. Yet in order to access such knowledge, one needs to trust these experts, and responsibly-formed trust requires certain social conditions to be in place. Recent literature on epistemic injustices has focused on injustices that threaten agents' abilities as speakers and creators of knowledge. Yet I argue that we also need to attend to epistemic injustices that concern our role as recipients of knowledge. When the social conditions of a responsibly-formed trust are not met, "epistemic trust injustices" ensue. These trust injustices are particularly important to examine in the context of the circulation of scientific knowledge.

Date and Time: Friday, February 10 at 2:30 pm.
Location: University of Waterloo, Hagey Hall 334.
Reception to follow

https://uwaterloo.ca/philosophy/events/dr-heidi-grasswick-trust-science-and-epistemic-injustice

Vicki Brett
Undergraduate Coordinator
Philosophy Department - HH 365
200 University Avenue W.
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
Tel:  519-888-4567  x32449
vbrett at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:vbrett at uwaterloo.ca>
[Email Logo - university-of-waterloo-logo-esig - Sept. 2014 - Resized Copy]