reminder Gender, Indigenization, and the University

David Seljak david.seljak at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 14 20:22:22 EST 2018

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 2:30!

Vanstone Lecture Hall, SJU Academic Centre

A public lecture in support of UW’s commitment to the United Nations’
[Heforshe logo 3]
   Sponsored by the #HeForShe Committee of  [St-Jeromes-University_Logo_Full_Colour]

St. Jerome’s is proud partner in of the University of Waterloo’s commitment to the United Nations Women<http://www.unwomen.org/en>’s HeForShe<http://www.heforshe.org/> campaign and its Impact 10x10x10<http://www.heforshe.org/impact> initiative.

Gender, Indigenization, and the University

Heidi Kiiwetinepinesiik Stark (Turtle Mountain Ojibwe)
Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C.

Thursday, November 15, 2018, 2:30 pm
Vanstone Lecture Hall, SJU Academic Centre
In this talk, I explore some of the challenges that arise with efforts towards Indigenizing the academy. This talk examines the primary ways in which the academy will and will not engage Indigenous knowledge. I also speak to my experiences as an Indigenous woman working in the academy the university context with attention to the disproportionate labour and increased demands faced by Indigenous scholars, especially women, best practices surrounding hiring and tenure considerations, and the unique opportunities and rewards that expanded Indigenous programming can bring to the academy.

Heidi Kiiwetinepinesiik Stark (Turtle Mountain Ojibwe) is an Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Victoria. She is the Director of the Centre for Indigenous Research and Community-led Engagement (CIRCLE) and the Director of the Graduate Certificate in Indigenous Nationhood. She has a Ph.D. in American Studies from the University of Minnesota. Her research interests include Indigenous law and treaty practices, Aboriginal and Treaty rights and Indigenous politics in the United States and Canada. She is the co-editor of Centering Anishinaabeg Studies: Understanding the World through Stories with Jill Doerfler and Niigaanwewidam Sinclair and is the co-author of American Indian Politics and the American Political System (3rd and 4th edition) with Dr. David E. Wilkins. She has published articles in journals such as Theory and Event, American Indian Quarterly, American Indian Culture and Research Journal, and Michigan State University Law Review.

The St. Jerome’s Centre lecture by Heidi Kiiwetinepinesiik Stark

Sacred Inheritance: Accounting for all Our Relations in Treaties

Friday, November 16, 2018, 7:30 p.m.
Vanstone Lecture Hall, St. Jerome's University Academic Centre

https://www.sju.ca/lectures-catholic-experience-heidi-kiiwetinepinesiik-stark-november-16-2018

What are our relationships and responsibilities to one another? How do we reconcile our differences and find ways forward to live together sustainably? The Anishinaabeg have long considered these questions. This talk details how, in bringing the Crown into a treaty relationship, Anishinaabe leaders detailed their understanding of creation and relationship to the Creator. They used treaty forums to instruct newcomers how to live with creation and how to understand the legal web of relationships they would be entering into that carried duties and responsibilities to creation. As such, the United States and Canada are always animated and conditioned by the laws of creation and the laws of the Anishinaabeg outlined in the treaty relationships that enabled them to live here, accounting for all our relations.

Complimentary parking - accessible - refreshments served prior to the lecture.
Register here<https://www.ticketfi.com/event/2557/lectures-in-catholic-experience-kiiwetinepinesiik-stark-nov-16-2018> for this lecture.

This evening’s lecture celebrates the re-launch of the journal, The Ecumenist, under its new name, Critical Theology: Engaging Church, Culture, and Society.

David Seljak
Professor
Department of Religious Studies
St. Jerome’s University
In the University of Waterloo

290 Westmount Road North
Waterloo, ON  N2L 3G3

226-747-5812 (work cell, preferred)
519-884-8111, ext. 28232 (office)

St. Jerome’s University and the University of Waterloo are on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishnawbe and Haudenosaunee peoples. We are situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.

St. Jerome’s is part of the University of Waterloo’s commitment to the United Nations Women<http://www.unwomen.org/en>’s HeForShe<http://www.heforshe.org/> campaign:, and I am SJU’s Faculty Advocate for the HeForShe Impact 10x10x10<http://www.heforshe.org/impact> initiative.