2018 Sally Weaver Award Guest Lecture

Jennifer Doucet jennifer.doucet at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 20 09:48:19 EST 2018

Join the Department of Anthropology, alumni, and friends, for the 2018 Sally Weaver Award Guest Lecture<https://uwaterloo.ca/anthropology/events/2017-sally-weaver-award-guest-lecture>, Truth, Reconciliation and Archaeology, presented by Paul Racher, Past President of the Ontario Archaeological Society and a Principal at ARA Ltd. The final report offered chilling evidence that Canada's history has not been as heroic as we might have wished in this 151 years since Confederation.
When:

Monday, November 26, 2018 | 4:30 p.m.

Where:

Environment 3 | Room 4412 | University of Waterloo

Cost:

Free; registration not required.
Reception to follow.

With great thanks to the generosity of our donors, this year, the prestigious Sally Weaver Award<https://uwaterloo.ca/anthropology/graduate/funding-and-awards/sally-weaver-award> will be presented to our Graduate Student, Mallory Moscovitch.

We hope to see you there!

Jennifer Liu
Associate Professor, Associate Chair, Graduate Studies
Department of Anthropology

Truth, Reconciliation and Gastronomic Archaeology

Monday, November 26th
4:30 p.m. in EV3 4412

[Paul Racher image]
Mr. Paul Racher
Past President, Ontario Archaeological Society
Principal, ARA Ltd.

The final report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) offered chilling evidence that Canada's history has not been as heroic as we might have wished in this 151 years since Confederation. The 94 Calls to Action proposed in its final report, along with the recently-accepted United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) propose some serious changes to how archaeology and heritage is "done" in Canada. Are we as a society ready for the full implications of what they might mean?

ALL WELCOME
No registration