TODAY at 4pm: Indigenous Speakers Series features Lee Maracle with Bill Coleman

Wendy Philpott wphilpott at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 3 08:38:51 EDT 2018

Today at 4pm in Theatre of the Arts, author and teacher Lee Maracle, choreographer Bill Coleman, and sound artist Phil Strong present an integrated lecture/performance. Please join us for this first event of the 2018-19 Indigenous Speakers Series.

Lee Maracle is a member of the Sto:Loh Nation. Her award-winning works include Ravensong, Bobbi Lee, and Sundogs, Sojourner’s Trutt, and her co-edited My Home As I Remember and Telling It: Women and Language Across Cultures. She is currently a mentor for Indigenous students at University of Toronto where she teaches Indigenous studies. Ms. Maracle acts as the Traditional Cultural Director for the Indigenous Theatre School, where she is also an instructor.

Bill Coleman is a choreographer and performer whose work transcends traditional theatrical settings to include mountain tops, rainforests, prairies and urban construction sites. He has created a bold collection of large-scale, site-specific works, collaborating with diverse groups including WWII veterans, Indigenous communities, fishing villages, ranching towns and urban neighbourhoods.

WHEN: Today, October 3, 4:00 pm

WHERE: Theatre of the Arts, Modern Languages building

Read more in the Daily Bulletin<https://uwaterloo.ca/daily-bulletin/2018-10-02#indigenous-speaker-series-features-lee-maracle>.

This Indigenous Speakers Series event is co-presented by the Waterloo Indigenous Student Centre, the Dean of Arts Office, and the Department of History, and the Department of Communication Arts. The series highlights the voices of Indigenous artists, writers, activists, and leaders from across Turtle Island, offering UWaterloo students, faculty and staff opportunities to learn from, understand, and engage with Indigenous issues.

Read about UWaterloo’s Indigenization Strategy<https://uwaterloo.ca/indigenization-strategy/>.

Wendy Philpott
Communications Manager
Dean of Arts Office, PAS 2425
Faculty of Arts, University of Waterloo
519 888-4567 x38530 or 226 989-4848
uwaterloo.ca/arts<https://connect.uwaterloo.ca/owa/redir.aspx?C=DBdvxGuORW-2F2Y11KpbB5kquCmJp2aAbK8CfMuIhNNcyS4CPY7UCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fuwaterloo.ca%2farts%2f> | @uwaterlooARTS<https://connect.uwaterloo.ca/owa/redir.aspx?C=ejqNsp0g87spLN-Zg0T6D5qwmeby_Pm4C8e0NGA9saRcyS4CPY7UCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2ftwitter.com%2fuwaterlooARTS>

I acknowledge that I am living and working on the traditional territory of ‎ the Attawandaron (also known as Neutral), Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.
P Please consider the environment and limit printing.