Turning Back the Doomsday Clock - Jan. 29

Wendy Philpott wphilpott at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 18 11:11:36 EST 2019

[cid:image002.png at 01D4AF1E.9327B640]It’s no joke. The Doomsday Clock<https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/> is a widely recognized indicator of global threats from nuclear weapons, climate change, and disruptive technologies.

On January 29, join Doug Peers for a discussion with colleagues in political science, sociology, and English to understand the real threats, and possible actions for turning back the clock.

SPEAKERS:

Alexander Lanoszka<https://uwaterloo.ca/political-science/people-profiles/alexander-lanoszka>, Political Science
Back to the Future? Nuclear weapons modernization and great power competition seem to make global politics more dangerous than ever. But what, if anything, is different about our current situation from what we experienced during the Cold War?

Andrew McMurry<https://uwaterloo.ca/english/people-profiles/andrew-mcmurry>, English Language and Literature
Everybody talks about climate change but nobody does anything about it. Why are we failing to adequately address this existential threat to the planet? It turns out that communicating the threat of climate change is as challenging as the problem itself. How do our favoured narratives and metaphors condition us to do nothing as the catastrophe unfolds?

Kate Henne<https://uwaterloo.ca/sociology-and-legal-studies/people-profiles/kathryn-kate-henne>, Sociology and Legal Studies
Disruption, Debilitation, Doom? What threats do disruptive technologies pose? According to the Doomsday Clock settings, they undermine democracy and political institutions. But, how do they disrupt other aspects of everyday life? Looking at their mundane effects may tell us a lot about risk and social change.

WHEN: Tuesday, January 29, 7 to 9 PM
WHERE: Kitchener Public Library, main branch — 85 Queen Street North, Kitchener
REGISTER: https://ticketfi.com/event/2775/turning-back-the-doomsday-clock

Wendy Philpott
Communication Manager
Dean of Arts Office, PAS 2425
Faculty of Arts, University of Waterloo
519 888-4567 x38530 or 226 989-4848
uwaterloo.ca/arts<https://uwaterloo.ca/arts/> | @uwaterlooARTS<https://twitter.com/uwaterlooARTS>

I acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional territory of ‎the Neutral, Anishinaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometers on each side of the Grand River.
P Please consider the environment first and limit printing.