Invitation: Socio-Cultural and Political Implications of Artificial Intelligence Summit

Ian Milligan i2milligan at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Mar 31 07:59:53 EDT 2019

Dear colleagues –

I wanted to invite you to all join the Global Engagement Program<https://uwaterloo.ca/global-engagement-program/> and ARTS 490 this week for our “Socio-Cultural and Political Implications of Artificial Intelligence Summit.” It is being held at the Balsillie School of International Affairs in uptown Waterloo.

We’ve got a roundtable on AI on Wednesday, April 3rd at 6:30pm; keynotes on Thursday, April 4th at 12:00pm (by David Jones of Microsoft’s Envisioning Centre) and 2pm (by new media artist Mimi Onuoha); and then student presentations on Thursday, April 4th at 6:30pm. Student projects are also available to check out throughout the day on Thursday, details below in the registration link.

I’d like to make a special plug for the student presentations (abstracts here<https://uwaterloo.ca/global-engagement-program/summit-2019-interactive-exhibitions>) if you do have some time on Thursday: the course has brought together a truly special array of interdisciplinary students, from programs as varied as history, nanotechnology engineering, knowledge integration, and computer science. The final projects are, speaking as one of the two course instructors alongside Marcel O’Gorman in English, really inspiring and I think showcase what true interdisciplinarity can accomplish.

You can register for free at https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/socio-cultural-and-political-implications-of-artificial-intelligence-summit-tickets-58325583390. Please do pass along to any of your students, colleagues, friends, etc. who might be interested.

All the best (and enjoy what is surely our last hurrah of winter, right??),

Ian

Ian Milligan
Associate Professor
Department of History, Faculty of Arts