Games Institute talk -- Things We Could Design: in more-than-human-centred worlds

Wendy Philpott wphilpott at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 6 13:48:08 EST 2019

On Friday, Nov. 15, the Games Institute presents guest speaker Ron Wakkary<http://eds.siat.sfu.ca/?eds_person=prof-ron-wakkary>, a professor in the School of Interactive Arts and Technology, Simon Fraser University, and founder of the Everyday Design Studio.  His talk considers how human designers, who share the stage with non-human designers and matter, can co-shape the designing of things in ways that aspire to be equitable, political, and caring.

WHAT: Things We Could Design: in more-than-human-centred worlds
WHEN: Friday Nov. 15 at 2:00-5:00 PM
WHERE: EC1 - East Campus 1, Collaboration space, Games Institute
REGISTER<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/things-we-could-design-a-research-talk-with-dr-ron-wakkary-tickets-78176727697>

"This talk engages the idea of posthumanist design. I investigate the potential to see design from the perspective of posthuman subjectivity. By posthuman, I mean thinking about the world as if humans share center stage with non-humans, and that we are all bound together materially, ethically, and existentially. I'm motivated by wanting alternative approaches to the vexing challenges of how we better co-inhabit our world with species and matter that are not human. And how we design technologies that we neither fully understand nor control." (read more<https://uwaterloo.ca/games-institute/events/guest-lecture-things-we-could-design-more-human-centred>)