W3 Lunch with Aimee Morrison and Thomas Barber

Kim H Nguyen kim.h.nguyen at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 21 10:41:30 EST 2019

Dear colleagues

Because W3 is hearing a lot of interest in next week’s session with our colleagues Aimee Morrison and Thomas Barber, we’re asking people to register<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/waterloo-womens-wednesdays-women-awards-mythbusting-tickets-82955671647> to give us a sense of how much food to order. We won’t turn anyone away for not having registered, but if you’re planning to come, registering by 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 26<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/waterloo-womens-wednesdays-women-awards-mythbusting-tickets-82955671647> would really help us out.  Here are the details:

Women and Awards: Mythbusting<https://uwaterloo.ca/events/events/waterloo-womens-wednesdays-mythbusting-women-awards>
12–1 p.m. NH 3308

Please join Awards Officer Thomas Barber and 2019 Trudeau Fellow Aimée Morrison, as they take you through the Myths and Realities of applying for Academic Awards and Prizes. Learn about the various steps, stages, and tasks of the awards nomination process, as well as some insider knowledge about less obvious pathways by which scholars and administrators shepherd nominations through this process.

Not someone who’s eligible for academic awards? Staff members can play an important role in supporting award nominations, and I suspect that a lot of what we’ll learn from Tom and Aimée will be broadly applicable to recognizing women/non-binary people and putting ourselves forward for things in other areas of work and life, too. We'd love to see people in all roles at UW come out for this discussion.

Our annual December Potluck will be December 11, noon until 1:30ish, in EIT 3142! We’ll have more details and registration for that soon, but you can go ahead and put it in your calendar right now.

--
Kim Hong Nguyen, Ph.D.<https://uwaterloo.ca/drama-speech-communication/people-profiles/kim-nguyen> (she/her, they/them)
Assistant Professor, Department of Communication Arts

I acknowledge that I live, work, and play on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometers on each side of the Grand River.