Privacy, Infrastructures, Policy Conference - Feb 28

J Whitson jwhitson at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 6 10:10:49 EST 2020

Hello Arts colleagues

Ian Goldberg (Computer Science) and I organizing a one day event on Feb
28th at Federation Hall, which will be hosted by the Cybersecurity and
Privacy Institute.  Media, government, and industry commonly frame Security
and Privacy as diametrically opposed: protecting one requires sacrificing
the other. Ian, myself and our speakers disagree, and would like to open a
discussion about the design, implementation, and benefits of
privacy-enhancing social and technological infrastructures. Topics include
journalism in the age of misinformation, discrimination and bias in
algorithmic decision-making, the role of Canadian security establishments
in protecting citizen privacy, and more.

Please join us. It is a catered, accessible, inclusive event that includes
5 talks, graduate student micro-talks, and a student poster session. There
is no attendance fee, but we'd ask you to *register by Friday Feb 21st*, so
that we can plan food and accommodate everyone's dietary requirements.

The full schedule and speaker line-up can be found at the registration
page, linked below.  I'm personally very excited to hear Pulitzer prize
winner Julia Angwin's talk.
https://uwaterloo.ca/cybersecurity-privacy-institute/privacy-infrastructures-policy

I'd appreciate it if you could also share this with your graduate students.
If their work is at all related to privacy, we're accepting submissions to
present a poster or a 5-minute microtalk.  To submit, kindly have them
email me (jwhitson at uwaterloo.ca) and Ian (iang at uwaterloo) a 1-2 paragraph
description of their topic, and whether they'd prefer a poster or
micro-talk by *Monday, February 10th * (yes.  I know. That's very very
soon, but we'd like to review and send confirmations by Feb 14th).

Hope to see you there,
Jen

*Jennifer R. Whitson PhD *| Assistant Professor | Department of Sociology
and Legal Studies | Stratford School of Interaction Design and Business
(cross-appointment) | University of Waterloo | website
<https://jenniferwhitson.com/> | twitter <https://twitter.com/jen_whitson>
| indie interfaces <https://www.indieinterfaces.com/>| she / her, but they
/ their is also fine | Waterloo campus office: PAS 2025 | Stratford office:
DMS 3008
*The University of Waterloo (including the Waterloo, Kitchener, and
Cambridge campuses) is situated on the Haldimand Tract, land that was
promised to the Haudenosaunee of the Six Nations of the Grand River, and is
within the territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabe, and Haudenosaunee
peoples.*