Call for Donations: Support Lebanon

English Chair englishchair at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 1 14:22:58 EDT 2020

From: Lara El Mekkawi
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 10:37 AM
To: English Chair
Subject: Call for Donations: Support Lebanon

Dear Faculty, Staff, Students, and Friends of the Faculty of Arts and Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo:
On August 4th, Lebanon’s capital Beirut was severely destroyed by a massive semi-nuclear explosion. Over 200 people were killed, 300,000 are displaced, and 7 individuals are still missing. There is also a staggering amount of property and infrastructure damage.
The Government of Canada has announced that it will match the $8 million in donations that will be part of the previously announced $30 million support package through key humanitarian partners.
However, Lebanon still needs substantial support, which is why this call for donations is being sent out post Lebanese Match Fund.
We invite you to support ongoing fundraisers that assist two of Lebanon’s most vulnerable communities, retired senior citizens and migrant works.
Please consider donating to one of the following:
1-  Beit Al Barake<https://beitelbaraka.net/welcome/> (House of Blessing)
<https://beitelbaraka.net/welcome/>Beit Al Barake<https://beitelbaraka.net/welcome/> “aims to provide a tailor-made accurate and beneficial response to Lebanon’s economic and multi-dimensional challenges that are depriving many retired citizens of their most basic needs and rights.” This organization is accepting donations for food assistance, decent housing, medical support, bill payment and monthly contributions.
You can donate here: https://beitelbaraka.net/welcome/<https://beitelbaraka.net/welcome/>
2-  <https://www.armlebanon.org/about-us> Anti-Racism Movement<https://www.givingloop.org/mcc/#contribute> (ARM)
<https://www.givingloop.org/mcc/>ARM<https://www.givingloop.org/mcc/#contribute>’s “mission is to decrease racist discrimination and abuse in Lebanon on the social and institutional levels by advocating for changes in the systems that perpetuate racist exploitative practices, through sensitization, awareness raising, advocacy, and community building for more just social and institutional frameworks in Lebanon.”
The organization’s emergency relief funds are “responding to the immediate needs of migrant workers, refugees, and marginalized groups affected by the August 4th explosion in Beirut, the Covid-19 pandemic and the ever-worsening economic situation. Hundreds of thousands are facing homelessness, loss of income, no freedom or means to return to a country of origin and lack of access to basic necessities to survive. ARM is raising funds to secure and distribute temporary shelter; house repairs; food and water; hygiene products; first aid and medical items; fees for repatriation; airline tickets; PCR tests and cash assistance for people with specific needs.“
You can donate here: https://www.givingloop.org/mcc/#contribute<https://www.givingloop.org/mcc/#contribute>
We thank you in advance for your contributions.
Lara El Mekkawi and Elianne El Amyouni
PhD English Students
Department of English Language & Literature
P.S. Why us? Why this?
We (Lara and Elianne) are both Lebanese graduate students in the English Department. Lara is an international student and Elianne is a Canadian citizen, but we both lived and studied in Lebanon before moving to Canada for our doctoral studies.
Lara lived in one of the destroyed neighborhoods in Beirut and Elianne often visited the affected areas. In fact, we both met for the first time in a coffee shop in Gemmayze, a destroyed neighborhood, where we talked about the possiblility of studying in Waterloo in the future.
As part of the English department and the UW community, we ask for the support of our friends, colleagues, and faculty.
Other ongoing fundraisers include: <https://www.supportlrc.app/donate> Lebanese Red Cross<https://supportlrc.app/donate/>, <https://donate.lebanesefoodbank.org/> Lebanese Food Bank<https://donate.lebanesefoodbank.org/>, <https://lifelebanon.org/#bot> Beirut Emergency Fund 2020<https://lifelebanon.org/#bot>, <https://embracelebanon.org/donate-to-embrace/> Embrace Lebanon<https://embracelebanon.org/donate-to-embrace/>, and <https://www.arcenciel.org/donate> Arc En Ciel<https://www.arcenciel.org/donate/>.