Annual Fine Arts MFA Shantz International Research Presentations

Sharon Dahmer sharon.dahmer at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 15 14:23:17 EDT 2021

[cid:f94bbf07-6d38-4b10-8255-16415ae8533e]

Dear All,

UW Fine Arts invites you to the annual MFA Shantz International Research presentations. Each year, our graduate students spend six weeks studying with a professional artist, and the Shantz endowment makes it possible. Hear about the adventures of Julie Hall and Jacob Irish who worked with Kinuk (aka Mi'kmaq artist Ursula Johnson and her wife Angella Parsons) in Nova Scotia; Ashley Guenette who worked with painter and textile artist Colleen Heslin in British Columbia; and Sarah Galarneau who worked with printmaker and installation artist Nadine Bariteau also of British Columbia. It was an oceanic summer for all four. Find out more as they come to you live via Zoom. Everyone is welcome.

Wednesday October 20th, 12:00-1:30 (EST)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86302904246

Meeting ID: 863 0290 4246
For more information contact faculty member tlcooper at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:tlcooper at uwaterloo.ca>

[cid:924bebf9-0f35-4f07-a74c-ca83cefb461a]
[cid:69225c05-b6a6-43e5-a376-c0d69abe7325]-

Tara Cooper (she/her)

Associate Professor

Associate Chair of Graduate Studies

Department of Fine Arts

University of Waterloo

200 University Ave. West

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

N2L 3G1

We are situated on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo, was built on the Haldimand Tract, the land given in treaty in 1784 to the Six Nations that includes 10 kilometres on each side of the Grand River from its source in Dundalk Township to its mouth at Lake Erie. The land was given in treaty to support the Six Nations in perpetuity, but this did not happen. The university's work at reconciliation with Indigenous peoples includes decolonizing our historical narratives, our minds, and our hearts. This is an ongoing process, and we have a long way to go.  We do this in humility and gratitude to our Indigenous neighbours, past and present.