Theatre and Performance program presents "Mustard"

Janelle Rainville jrainville at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 10 09:46:55 EST 2022

[cid:image001.png at 01D83463.C6BCFAB0]

The Theatre and Performance Program would like to invite you to their in-person winter production of Mustard.
Written by Kat Sandler              |          Directed by Liza Balkan      |          Assistant Director: Emily Ashton Radcliffe

In person March 23-26, 2022 at 7:30PM

Livestreamed & in-person Matinee March 25th at 12 PM

Running Time:            110 minutes (no intermission)

Venue (in person):      Theatre of the Arts, Modern Languages Building
Venue (live stream):  YouTube (link will be provided 48 hours in advance)

Ticket prices:                 $15 General / $10 Student / $5 eyeGO (highschool)

Box office:                      Online<https://secure1.tixhub.com/waterloo/online/index.asp> or call 519-888-4908.  Box office is open from 12 - 5 p.m. Monday to Friday

Written by award-winning Canadian playwright, Kat Sandler, we meet a mother and daughter on the verge of total breakdown. The other member of the household is the daughter's imaginary friend she's had forever. We also meet a boyfriend, and a couple of other wildly extraordinary folk who arrive with a crucial job to do.

Mustard is a comic-tragic play, that can be silly at times, but it is also about a lot of very serious and scary things, including divorce, alcoholism, suicide, mental health, teen pregnancy and growing up, which can be violent, tragic, funny, and magical all at once. At its core Mustard  is a play about love: we are watching real people deal with real problems with real stakes, trying to find ways to love and be loved, and some of those people just happen to be magical.

Prior to the production audience members are invited to engage with the virtual and/or physical engagement space. Doors will open 30 minutes prior to the performance so the audience can engage with the installation that reflects Mustard's theatrical points of emphasis. In the theatre gallery, spectators are invited to immerse themselves in a thematic display meant to extend the world of the play to the world right in front of us.

There will be a digital dramaturgy Hub and Engagement Space hosted on the website for the performance, which can be found at https://www.uwmustard.ca/. This space aims to provide context to our audience's experience of the play and production, from research sources and themes of the work to the creative vision of the artistic team. Don't miss this important aspect of Mustard.

Box Office: https://secure1.tixhub.com/waterloo/online/index.asp
Visit our website<https://uwaterloo.ca/communication-arts/> and like us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/UWTheatrePerf>
Follow us on Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/uwtheatreperf/> and Twitter<https://twitter.com/uwtheatreperf> @UWTheatrePerf #UWMustard