Games Institute Open House, October 5, 2022

Agata Antkiewicz ajantkiewicz at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 30 14:55:22 EDT 2022

Hello, people of Arts,
Come and discover the interactive and immersive technologies research conducted in the Games Institute's collaborative interdisciplinary environment!

Anyone interested in the research happening at the Games Institute (GI) is more than welcome to come and explore our space during the Open House. We especially encourage anyone considering or currently pursuing graduate school or a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Waterloo to come and learn about the work conducted at the GI over the past ten years.

The GI is a 9000-square-foot interdisciplinary research center with multiple interdisciplinary lab spaces, a maker space with two 3D printers, a 30-person presentation space, and a large collaboration area. All these areas will be open during the open house and filled with the GI's Faculty and graduate members and their projects. The GI is led by Executive Director Dr. Neil Randall (Faculty of Arts) and Associate Director Mark Hancock (Engineering) and has members from every faculty and multiple departments on campus.

The open house will highlight a considerable array of research projects, including but not limited to:

  *   Multiple Virtual Reality Experiences (with demos!)
  *   Restorative justice and technology
  *   Games and interactive technologies for health
  *   Feminist archiving and social media activism
  *   Human Computer Interaction research
  *   Table-top role playings games
  *   Artificial Intelligence
  *   Game Studies close readings and analysis
  *   Games for Change
  *   Publication opportunities through our Palgrave Games and Context book series and games studies publication First Person Scholar
  *   Partnerships and projects with Indigenous populations
  *   Haptics Computing research and tools
  *   Gamification
  *   Social Media and disinformation
  *   And much, much, more!

Anyone is welcome to attend the GI Open House from 4:30-6 pm. There is more information (including the exact address of the GI etc.) in the event:  https://uwaterloo.ca/games-institute/events/games-institute-open-house-0

For questions about the event, please contact games.institute at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:games.institute at uwaterloo.ca>

Agata Antkiewicz, MA
Associate Director, Strategic Planning and Administration, The Games Institute
Chair, Board of Directors, University of Waterloo Staff Association
Interim Co-Chair, UW Sexual Violence Prevention Task Force
University of Waterloo
EC1-1331, 200 University Ave. W., Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1

games.uwaterloo.ca | uwaterloo.ca/staff-association/<https://uwaterloo.ca/staff-association/>
I recognize the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge, laws and philosophies of the Indigenous Peoples with whom I share this land today. As the Games Institute facilitates researchers of games, digital spaces, and interactive technologies, we undertake to make space for Indigenous scholars, designers, commentators and creators to uplift voices that are marginalized in the academic and gaming community.
I acknowledge that the land on which I work and live today is the traditional land of the Attawandaron (Neutral), Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. I recognize that the University of Waterloo, where I work, is situated on the Haldimand Tract - the land taken without consent and subsequently promised to the Six Nations - that includes ten kilometers on either side of the Grand River.