Film Resources at UW

Joan Coutu joan.coutu at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 7 09:34:07 EST 2023

Hello,

If you are interested in including films as part of your pedagogy next term, please see below for info about how to access films that are copyright compliant. I sent this info out in August in advance of the Fall term, so I apologize if you are having a ‘I think I read that before’ moment…. But I’m including one additional note:

If you did use the IST resources last term, please tell me about your experience. Was it seamless, slightly bumpy, down-to-the-last-minute stressful, or all of the above?
Since this is a resource for the whole university, it is almost impossible to track people’s experiences. Any info you can provide will be helpful in ongoing conversations about improving access to film resources.

Using Film in your courses:
As many of us prepare our courses for the Winter term, I would like to remind you that IST Media Resources provides streaming access to over 30,000 films and access to over 9,500 physical film resources(DVDs, VHS (yep!), and even good ol’ 16mm). Content ranges from documentaries, feature films, shorts, animation, experimental film, recorded lectures (e.g. the UW Hagey Lecture Series), every single UW Convocation, and more.

The key is to plan early! Here are some handy tips:

The main Media Resources page is here<https://uwaterloo.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ISTSERV/pages/42582573128/Media+Resources+library>. On it you will find several links:

  *   The Media Resources Catalog Search Form<https://media.dymaxion.ca/display/082/wwk770>. This contains most – but not all – of the available resources. The platform is best described as ‘old’, and thus a bit cranky. For your search text, be careful of correct spelling and, if no results come up but you think the film may be in the collection, try tweaking the spelling (maybe drop a plural ‘s’ or choosing one distinctive word in a title, etc.). If that doesn’t work, contact IST Media Resources at  medialib at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:medialib at uwaterloo.ca>
  *   Resources for Streaming page<https://uwaterloo.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ISTSERV/pages/42588307463/Resources+for+streaming>. This lists links to 13 streaming partners, including several feature film and doc platforms (Audio Cine Films, Digitalia Film, Criterion-on-Demand*, Kanopy*, etc.); Canadian platforms (TVO, CBC, National Film Board); thematic-oriented platforms (US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Psychotherapy.net, Mosfilm, British Pathé newsreels) plus Ted Talks and the Internet Archive.

*Criterion-on-Demand and Kanopy require WatIAM authentication.

A couple of notes about Kanopy:

  *   If you find something that may be of interest but you can’t access, press the ‘Request Access’ button and you should have access within a couple of days, if not sooner.
  *   If you have selected a film for your course, check a couple of weeks before you intend to show it to make sure it is still on Kanopy. Kanopy has an annoying habit of randomly removing films….
For the physical (i.e. non-streaming) films in the UW collection:

  *   The most commonly requested films are available at the IST Service Desk in Davis Centre. A list, and how to view the films, is available here<https://uwaterloo.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ISTSERV/pages/42588438535/Most+commonly+signed+out+media+resources>.
  *   For other films in the collection that may not be on everyone’s top ten list (like my fav: Michael Snow’s Wavelength from 1967, an enthralling 16 mm 45-min film focused on the far wall of a New York loft😊), provide at least two weeks’ notice. Either hit the ‘Pick’ button in the catalogue or contact IST Media Resources directly at medialib at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:medialib at uwaterloo.ca>

For films that don’t seem to be available through the resources above, contact IST Media Resources at medialib at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:medialib at uwaterloo.ca> and they can try to track it down. Please provide several weeks notice as this can be a lengthy process (there are the issues of finding a distributor and then trying to get the distributor to respond…)

Film is a fantastic pedagogical resource but please remember to use it without violating copyright. While the above is a rather choppy way of tracking down films, keep in mind there are many gems available, plus you can request others through IST Media Resources. IST Media Resources is now working, along with the Library, to improve access.

This infomercial has been brought to you by your friendly FAUW copyright representative,

Joan Coutu

Professor, Art History And Visual Culture | Department of Fine Arts
University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave. West, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1

Joan Coutu, PhD
Professor, Art History And Visual Culture | Department of Fine Arts
University of Waterloo, 200 University Ave. West, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1

[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA10D8.C17A2980]<https://www.mqup.ca/politics-and-the-english-country-house--1688---1800-products-9780228014027.php?page_id=106021&>  [cid:image002.jpg at 01DA10D8.C17A2980] <https://www.mqup.ca/then-and-now-products-9780773545434.php?page_id=106021&>   [cid:image003.jpg at 01DA10D8.C17A2980] <https://www.mqup.ca/persuasion-and-propaganda-products-9780773531307.php?page_id=106021&>  [cid:image004.jpg at 01DA10D8.C17A2980]

The Faculty of Arts acknowledges that we are living and working on the traditional territory of the Attawandaron (also known as Neutral), Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.