Event with Professor Cynthia Reyes, 14 November, 12-1:30pm

Sarah Turnbull s3turnbull at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 8 15:58:56 EST 2023

The Migration, Mobilities, and Social Politics Research Cluster<https://www.balsillieschool.ca/research/clusters/migration-mobilities-and-social-politics/> at the Balsillie School of International Affairs (BSIA) invites you to a hybrid presentation by Dr Cynthia Reyes<https://www.uvm.edu/cess/profiles/cynthia-reyes> (Professor and Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs, University of Vermont) on 14 November.

Dr Reyes is a Fulbright Research Chair in Anti-Racism and BIPOC Communities at UW's Department of Sociology and Legal Studies this term. She will be presenting on ‘Reframing Equity-centered Partnerships Between Families with Refugee and Immigrant Experiences, Communities, and Schools Through a Lens of Kapwa.’ For more information and to register, please see here<https://www.balsillieschool.ca/event/reframing-equity-centered-partnerships-between-families-with-refugee-and-immigrant-experiences-communities-and-schools-through-a-lens-of-kapwa/>. The event is free to attend.

When: Tuesday, 14 November, 12-1:30pm (a light lunch will be available at noon, followed by the talk at 12:30pm)
Where: BSIA Room 142 and virtually via Zoom
Please register to attend in person and for the Zoom link.<https://www.balsillieschool.ca/event/reframing-equity-centered-partnerships-between-families-with-refugee-and-immigrant-experiences-communities-and-schools-through-a-lens-of-kapwa/>

We hope to see you there!

---

Sarah Turnbull, PhD<https://uwaterloo.ca/sociology-and-legal-studies/people-profiles/sarah-turnbull> (she/her)

Assistant Professor | Department of Sociology and Legal Studies | University of Waterloo

200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1, Canada

+1-519-888-4567 ext. 46648| @SL_Turnbull<https://twitter.com/SL_Turnbull>

Faculty Member | Balsillie School of International Affairs

Co-Lead | Migration, Mobilities, and Social Politics Research Cluster<https://www.balsillieschool.ca/research/clusters/migration-mobilities-and-social-politics/>

I acknowledge that I am a settler, raised on the unceded traditional territory of the shíshálh and Skwxwú7mesh Nations. I have the privilege to live, work, and play on the traditional territory of the Neutral (Attawandaron), Anishinaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The main University of Waterloo campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River. Settler colonial processes on these lands are ongoing. I seek to act toward decolonisation in my life, work, and learning.