SWORDC seminar with Dr. David Gray February 9

Arts Communications artscomm at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 1 16:10:38 EST 2024

Hello, Arts community!

Join the SouthWestern Ontario Research Data Centre (SWORDC) for a seminar on “An analysis of an ad hoc unemployment insurance benefit extensions in Canada:  the case of the commodity-sector workers”.

Speaker: Dr. David Gray<https://uniweb.uottawa.ca/members/850>, Full Professor of Economics, University of Ottawa

When: Friday, February 9, 2023, 3:30 to 5 p.m.

Where: Hagey Hall 150

Abstract: Canadian governments have responded selectively in ad hoc fashion to situations involving perceived shortfalls in EI coverage by extending the duration of the potential benefit period.  In this paper we provide an empirical analysis of the impact of one of these interventions ‘the commodities cycle’ initiative that was announced in 2016 appended a supplemental 5 weeks to all claimants in qualifying regions as well as supplemental extensions to a selected group of claimants who qualified as ‘long-tenure workers’.   Our primary objectives are to estimate the short-term impact of these potential benefit extensions on EI claims outcomes, in particular on the number of benefit weeks that are collected and the probability of filing subsequent claims during the post-intervention period.  An uncommon feature of our application is that there are four distinct, tapered treatments consisting of an extra i) five, ii) ten, iii) seventeen, and iv) twenty-five weeks awarded to different groups of claimants.  Based on the non-experimental evaluation approach utilising difference-in-difference and regression discontinuity design techniques, our principal results are consistent with those reported in the literature, namely that realized benefit durations increase with benefit entitlement extensions.  We discern a diminishing propensity to collect the extra entitlement in that the proportion of the extra benefit weeks that is collected declines as the number of additional weeks increases.  We also find that the event of filing a subsequent claim in the near term becomes less likely.

Thank you,

Arts Communication Team