Food/Sex/Philosophy Fest – June 25 & July 11

Arts Communications artscomm at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 17 15:30:00 EDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to two events sponsored by a community organization, Café-Philo Kitchener:

To collectively explore the age-old intersection of food & sex in the cultural imagination, Café-Philo Kitchener will be hosting a Food/Sex/Philosophy Fest in June and July.

On Tuesday, June 25, there will be a film screening of Tampopo (1985), Juzo Itami’s “ramen-Western” comedy. Doors will open at 6:40pm; the film will begin promptly at 7:00pm. This free event will take place at Apollo Cinema (141 Ontario St. N, Kitchener).

On Thursday, July 11, Dr. Katy Fulfer will be giving a talk entitled "Pleasure and Power at the Dinner Table." In rejecting the idea that our appetites always lead us astray, we will explore how pleasure can serve as a site of connection and forge bonds of belonging, and how power and domination are intertwined with the sensuous joy of eating together. Doors will open at 6:40pm; the talk will begin promptly at 7:00pm. This talk will take place at Globe Studios (141 Whitney Pl., Kitchener). The talk is free, but seating is limited. To register in advance, please email: cafephilofest at gmail.com<mailto:cafephilofest at gmail.com>.

For more information, follow us on Instagram: @cafephilokitchener<https://www.instagram.com/cafephilokitchener/>
Please feel welcome to share with your networks.

Kind regards,

Katy Fulfer, PhD (she/her)
Associate Professor
Gender & Social Justice Program