[CTN] CTN seminar: Dr. Thomas Trappenberg, May 22nd, PAS 2464, 3:30

Matthijs van der Meer mvdm at uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 15 15:32:27 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Please join us for next Tuesday's CTN seminar (May 22nd) by Dr. Thomas
Trappenberg (Dalhousie University). Title and abstract follow below.

Time and place are the usual, 3.30pm on Tuesday in PAS 2464.

If you would like to meet with Dr. Trappenberg, and/or come to dinner
afterwards, please let me know.

Hope to see you all there!

- Matt

Dr. Thomas Trappenberg
Faculty of Computer Science
Dalhousie University

http://web.cs.dal.ca/~tt/

Title:

The neuroscience of machine learning: How the brain learns to anticipate

Abstract:

Probabilistic machine learning matured considerably over the last
decade, and it is time to evaluate how the brain fits into such
theories. I will outline how disperse learning theories, including
supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning might relate to
brain processes and will stress how probabilistic representations are a
key factor. I will then discuss some of our recent work on reward
learning in the basal ganglia and show how to beat common Bayesian methods.