[CTN] Dr. Kaori Nishiuchi-Takehara (University of Toronto), Oct 8, 3.30pm in PAS 2464

Matthijs van der Meer mvdm at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 1 11:29:59 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Please join us for next Tuesday's CTN seminar by Dr. Kaori
Nishiuchi-Takehara, from the University of Toronto. Title and abstract
follow below.

Time and place are the usual: 3.30pm on Tuesday in PAS 2464.

If you would like to meet with Dr. Takehara, and/or come to dinner,
please let me know. Because of time constraints there will not be a
graduate student lunch this time.

Hope to see you at the talk!

- Matt

Physiology of Frontal-temporal Lobe Memory Network
and Its Dysfunction in Early Stage Alzheimer’s Disease

Kaori Takehara-Nishiuchi
Department of Psychology
University of Toronto

Memories of daily experiences consist of complex associations of
sensory, action, and emotional variables. Accumulating evidence suggests
that this type of memory is supported by a broad network that includes
the hippocampus as well as rhinal and medial prefrontal cortices. Yet,
network mechanisms of these memories remain largely unknown. My talk
will first highlight our latest research on the representation of
associative memory in rat medial prefrontal cortex. Second, I will
present physiological activity patterns that suggest that the medial
prefrontal cortex interacts with the rhinal cortex during memory
formation and expression. Finally, I will also present observations of
abnormal memory-related neurophysiological processes in a rat model for
early stage Alzheimer’s disease. Together, these results provide new
insight into how cortical neurons mediate associative memory and how
they are disrupted with pathologies in early stage Alzheimer’s disease.