[CTN] talk of possible interest at WLU, Fri Feb 14, 11am

Matthijs van der Meer mvdm at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Feb 10 09:32:11 EST 2014

(part of a series of upcoming job talks for WLU's open Behavioral
Neuroscience position)

February 14, 2014

Dr. Vedran Lovic (postdoctoral fellow, MIT)

11:00 AM

N2005, Science Bldg, WLU

Title: From Early Life Adversity to Addiction:
Psychology, Neurobiology, and the Missing Links

Abstract: Early life adversity is associated with several psychological
disorders, including addiction. The mechanisms by which early life
adversity increases addiction liability remain elusive. Based on work by
others, as well as my own, I will present my theoretical point of view
(pseudosensitization model of addiction) which aims to connect adversity
and addiction. The model presents evidence that two traits, impulsivity
and propensity to attribute incentive salience to reward related cues,
are predictive of addiction liability. Both of these traits are altered
by early life adversity. However, we are lacking a causal and
comprehensive picture of how adversity alters neural circuits,
especially dopamine systems, and subsequently behaviours, cognition, and
affective states which promote addiction. The goal of my future research
is to use a variety of tools, behavioural, pharmacological, and
optogenetic, to uncover the precise mechanisms by which adversity leads
to addiction liability. Understanding these mechanisms will advance
prevention strategies and treatment of addiction.