[CTN] CTN seminar: Dr. Victoria Booth (Univ. Michigan), Jan 14, 3.30pm in PAS 2464

Matthijs van der Meer mvdm at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 7 10:49:10 EST 2014

Dear all,

Please join us for next Tuesday's CTN seminar (Jan 14) by Dr. Victoria
Booth, from the University of Michigan. Title and abstract follow below.

Time and place are the usual, 3.30pm on Tuesday in PAS 2464.

If you would like to meet with Dr. Booth, and/or come to dinner
(on Tuesday evening), please let me know.

Hope to see you there,

- Matt

Dr. Victoria Booth
Assistant Professor
Departments of Mathematics and Anesthesiology
University of Michigan

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/~vbooth/

Title: Dynamics of sleep-wake regulation

Sleep and wake states are regulated by the interactions among a number
of brainstem and hypothalamic neuronal populations and the expression of
their neurotransmitters. Based on experimental studies, several
different structures have been proposed for this sleep-wake regulatory
network with particular debate over components involved in rapid-eye
movement (REM) sleep regulation. We have developed a mathematical
modeling framework that is uniquely suited for investigating the
structure and dynamics of proposed sleep-wake regulatory networks. Using
this framework, we are analyzing the competing proposed network
structures for the regulation of REM sleep to determine how the
structure of the sleep-wake regulatory network determines sleep-wake
behavior and the dynamics of behavioral state transitions.