[CTN] CTN Seminar: Stefan Köhler (Western University), 3:30 Tuesday October 6 in PAS 2464

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:43:37 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

October's CTN seminar is quite early in October. Next Tuesday we will have
Stefan Köhler from the Brain & Mind Institute, Western University. The
title and abstract follow.

As usual the talk is at 3:30 in PAS 2464.

Please let me know if you would like to meet individually with Dr. Köhler,
and/or join us for dinner after the talk.

Regards,
Bryan

Mechanisms of familiarity assessment in humans
The ability to consciously recognize the prior occurrence of objects,
people, or other aspects of the environment is critical to many aspects of
adaptive behavior. Recognition memory can succeed in the absence of
successful recollection of episodic detail about a pertinent past stimulus
encounter. For example, we have all been in situations in which a person we
interact with feels familiar, but we cannot conjure up any information as
to where or when we met her before. The process that allows for recognition
under such circumstances is often referred to as familiarity assessment. In
the present talk, I plan to review recent neuropsychological, neuroimaging,
and psychophysiological research that aimed to shed light on the neural
mechanisms that support familiarity and that shape its phenomenology. The
work that I plan to discuss will speak to the following questions: How are
memory representations that are tied to impressions of familiarity
organized in the human brain? Can familiarity assessment be selectively
affected by brain lesions? Does familiarity have an affective component?