[CTN] CTN Seminar: Prof. Julio Martinez-Trujillo (Western), 3:30 December 6

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 01:10:39 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

Please join us for the next CTN seminar, Tuesday of next week (December 6)
at 3:30 in PAS 2464. The title and abstract follow. The speaker is Prof.
Julio Martinez-Trujillo from Western University.

Regards,
Bryan

Mechanisms of working memory coding in the primate brain: from single
neurons to neuronal ensembles

Working memory is the ability to maintain and manipulate information that
is not available to the senses during short time intervals. It is currently
thought that working memory arises from the sustained activity of neurons
selective for spatial locations, features, and complex objects in different
areas of the primate brain. One issue that has been a matter of debate is
what is the role of different brain areas in working memory coding. I will
present data from electrophysiological recordings along the primate visual
dorsal pathway during working memory tasks and compare the fidelity of
working memory representations of spatial locations and features by single
neurons amongst these areas. I will then focus on the prefrontal cortex and
elaborate on how interactions between neurons shape the coding of working
memory within this area, and how measurements of correlated activity can
reveal important aspects of the dynamics underlying working memory coding.
I will finally elaborate on the implications of these different findings
for current models of working memory.