[CTN] CTN Seminar: Ed Connor (Johns Hopkins University), 3:30 Tuesday Feb 28

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 00:24:21 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

Please join us for the next CTN seminar, next Monday at 3:30 in PAS 2464.
The speaker is Ed Connor. The title and abstract follow.

Shape information in the primate brain

We study neural coding of shape in the ventral pathway of primate visual
cortex.  Because natural shape is a virtually infinite domain, neural
coding is sparse and difficult to define.  To compensate, we use genetic
algorithms to focus stimulus sampling on the response ranges of specific
neurons.  This yields datasets that can constrain quantitative models
relating stimulus geometry to neural responses.  In previous studies, we
have used genetic algorithms to show how objects are encoded as
configurations of 3D surface fragments and medial axis elements.  In recent
work, we have studied large scale shape coding of scenes and rooms in the
ventral pathway.  In both object and scene representation, neural coding
dimensions reflect the geometry of the natural world and the information we
need about it.