[CTN] CTN Seminar: Mariam Aly (Columbia): 3:30 Tuesday Nov 7, PAS 2464

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 01:08:27 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Please join us next week for a talk by Professor Mariam Aly of Columbia
University. The title and abstract follow.

Regards,
Bryan

Perception and attention in memory systems

Research in cognitive neuroscience has traditionally progressed by studying
different components of cognition largely in isolation. But, ultimately,
complex behavior is the result of the interplay between multiple aspects of
cognition at the behavioral and the neural levels. With a combination of
behavioral, neuroimaging (fMRI) and patient studies, I’ll argue that the
computations performed by brain regions allow them to critically and
flexibly support many different aspects of cognition, from attention to
perception to long-term memory. In the first part of my talk, I’ll show
that at a behavioral level, perception shares functional commonalities with
long-term memory, and traditional memory systems of the brain play a
critical role in perception. In the second part of my talk, I’ll show that
attention modulates these “memory systems”, and that this modulation has
consequences for attentional and mnemonic behavior. Together, my research
points to the utility of understanding the brain and behavior by thinking
about the mechanisms that allow any given brain region to flexibly
contribute to diverse aspects of cognition.