[CTN] CTN seminar: Jorn Diedrichsen (Western), 3:30 Tuesday October 24, PAS 2464

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 14:30:32 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Please join us next week for a talk by Professor Jorn Diedrichsen, of the
Brain and Mind Institute, University of Western Ontario. The title and
abstract follow.

Regards,
Bryan

The brain’s GPU? In search of the cerebellum’s universal transform

The cerebellum exhibits a highly specialized and uniform neuronal
circuitry, which likely evolved to solve very specific problems in
sensory-motor control. In the human brain, the cerebellar circuitry has
dramatically expanded, and it contributes here to virtually every possible
cognitive function. But what is this elusive computation that the
cerebellum contributes to cortical processing? I will show some insights
from our research on motor control and learning, which shows that the
cerebellum is critically involved in prediction and fast error-based
learning. I will then talk about the first steps that we have recently
taken to test computational theories about the function of the cerebellum
across different cognitive domains using functional imaging.