[CTN] CTN Seminar: Roland Memisevic (20BN), 3:30 Tuesday Jan 22, E5 2004

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:35:35 EST 2019

Hi everyone,

Please join us for next week's talk by Roland Memisevic, who was previously
a professor at MILA, and now has a company in Toronto. This talk is a bit
outside our usual scope, but it's a great example of getting neural
networks to develop a sophisticated understanding of visual signals.

Bryan

Building a context-aware AI avatar
Roland Memisevic

At TwentyBN we are building an AI system that interacts with you while
"looking" at you - allowing it to understand your behaviour, your
surroundings and the full context of the engagement.  At the core of this
technology is a crowd acting-platform, that allows humans to engage with
and teach our system about everyday aspects of our lives and of our
physical world.  This allows us to instill a human-like "common sense"
understanding of everyday scenes and situations in neural networks, and to
train them to have conversations with rich visual context.  I will also
describe how this approach is powering "Millie", our interactive digital
avatar we unveiled at NeurIPS 2018.