[CTN] CTN seminar: Javier Medina (Baylor): Tues May 14, 3:30, E5 2004

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Fri May 3 15:56:49 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

We have one final talk this year, details below. Hope to see you there.

Bryan

A NEW NETWORK ARCHITECTURE FOR SUPERVISED LEARNING IN THE CEREBELLUM
Javier F Medina, Baylor College of Medicine

The cerebellum is often described as a neural machine for supervised
learning. Its network architecture consists of anatomically segregated
learning modules, which are thought to be specialized for distinct
functions defined by the error-related information received via the
climbing fiber input, and by the few individual muscles each module is able
to control. My talk will present our recent work on mouse eyeblink
conditioning, focusing on two unpublished experiments that challenge this
classic view about the organization of the cerebellum. First, I will
describe a new recurrent circuit that allows some Purkinje cells in the
cerebellar cortex to learn in the absence of error-related information in
their climbing fiber input. Second, I will show that the output of a single
cerebellar module can be used to control a complex motor synergy that
requires coordination of multiple muscles. Altogether, the results suggest
a new organizational framework for understanding what the cerebellum
learns, and how.