[CTN] CTN Seminar: Randy McIntosh (Baycrest Centre), 3:30 Tuesday Jan 21 in E5 6111

Bryan Tripp bptripp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 11:07:54 EST 2020

Hi everyone,

Welcome back! Please join us for the next CTN seminar with Randy McIntosh
(Baycrest Centre / University of Toronto). Talk details are below.

Bryan

Flow and manifolds in cognition and neural networks
Randy McIntosh, Baycrest Centre
3:30 Tuesday Jan 21 E5 6111

Our experience is elaborate, where our perceptions are embellished by
memories and emotions, and driven by predictions. We have developed a
quantitative framework that makes the explicit link between the elaborate
temporal evolution of the brain networks and the accompanying evolution of
the mental streams. We posit that the coordination underlying experience
can be understood by considering neural processes as flows depicting system
interactions. The flows occur on relatively low-dimensional manifolds,
which constrain the landscape of possible functional configurations –
Structured Flows on Manifolds (SFM). The attraction of the SFM framework is
that the same mathematical formulation can be used to quantify the flows
and manifolds for the cognitive architecture as for the neural dynamics.
The potential for new configurations reflects the adaptive nature of the
brain and higher cognitive function. This “hidden repertoire” is at the
heart of what makes our experiences special, where the richness comes
precisely because of what is happening and also of what possibly could
happen.