[CTN] UWloo CTN Seminar November 16 14:30 Lyle Muller (Western) Travelling Waves in Cortex

Britt Anderson britt at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 8 13:25:59 EST 2021

Our next CTN Seminar is scheduled for one week from tomorrow, and will
again be on-line (we anticipate in person talks to begin Winter Term
2022). A separate email will follow with the Zoom log-in information.

If you know of anyone who would like to join the mailing list they can
either self-subscribe (https://artsservices.uwaterloo.ca/mailman/listinfo/ctn) or email me.

A brief summary of the talk follows:

Title: Traveling waves in cortex: spatiotemporal dynamics shape perceptual and cognitive processes

Abstract:

With new multichannel recording technologies, neuroscientists can now record from cortex with high spatial and temporal resolution. Early recordings during anesthesia observed waves traveling across the cortex. While for a long time traveling waves were thought to disappear in awake animals, in recent work we have revealed traveling waves in these complex activity states. Whether these waves play active functional roles in sensory perception and cognitive processes, however, has remained unclear.

In my research, I have introduced new, general computational methods for detection and quantification of spatiotemporal patterns in high-noise multisite recordings. These methods have revealed that small visual stimuli consistently evoke waves traveling outward from the point of input in primary visual cortex of the awake monkey. Further, we have recently found that spontaneous cortical activity is structured into waves traveling across visual area MT, and that these spontaneous waves modulate both excitability of local networks and the probability of faint stimulus detection. Our results thus indicate that spontaneous and stimulus-evoked waves play active roles in sensory processes. In upcoming work, we aim to understand the general computational roles for these waves in sensory and cognitive processes.

Brief bio:

Since 2019, Lyle has led a laboratory for computational and theoretical neuroscience (http://mullerlab.ca) in the Department of Mathematics at Western University.