[CTN] CTN Seminar - Jeff Orchard - April 25 3:30 p.m.

Sue Ann Campbell sacampbell at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 18 13:28:12 EDT 2023

Hello Everyone,

The final CTN Seminar of the term will take place one week from today: Tuesday, April 25 at 3:30 p.m. in E5-2004.  Our own Jeff Orchard will be telling us about some of his recent work.

Title: Cognition using Spiking-Phasor Neurons

Abstract: Vector Symbolic Architectures (VSAs) are a powerful framework for representing compositional reasoning and lend themselves to neural-network implementations. This allows us to create neural networks that can perform cognitive functions, like spatial reasoning, arithmetic, reasoning over sequences, symbol binding, and logic. But the vectors involved can be quite large -- hence the alternative label “Hyperdimensional (HD) computing”. Advances in neuromorphic hardware hold the promise of reducing the running time and energy footprint of neural networks by orders of magnitude. In this talk, I will extend some pioneering work, and run VSA algorithms on a substrate of spiking neurons that could be run efficiently on neuromorphic hardware.

Regards,

Sue Ann

Dr. Sue Ann Campbell (she/her)

Professor and University Research Chair

Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Waterloo

Waterloo ON N2L 3G1

https://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~sacampbe/

President-Elect, Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society<https://caims.ca/>

I acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo main campus is located on the Haldimand tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.