[CTN] CTN Seminar - Eric Shea-Brown Tuesday, February 7 3:30 p.m.

Sue Ann Campbell sacampbell at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 7 13:31:01 EST 2023

Just a reminder of today's CTN Seminar at 3:30 p.m. in Zoom. Details are below.

Regards,

Sue Ann

Hello Everyone,

The next CTN Seminar will take place one week from today:
  Tuesday, February 7 at 3:30 p.m. (Note the change in time).
Prof. Eric Shea-Brown<https://faculty.washington.edu/etsb/> from the University of Washington will be joining us remotely. Details are given below.

Meeting link:
https://uwaterloo.zoom.us/j/99667335611?pwd=L3NXU08xVHovK1ZrTGZ4VmVpQ3JxZz09

Title: When do high dimensional networks learn to produce low dimensional dynamics?

Abstract:  Neural networks in biology and in engineering have tremendous numbers of interacting units, yet often produce dynamics with many fewer degrees of freedom — that is, of low dimensionality.  We explore when general network learning rules tend to produce such low dimensional dynamics.  We demonstrate two main applications, in networks producing highly compressed representations that may support generalization, and in networks extracting latent variables that may efficiently describe more complex environments.

Regards,

Sue Ann

Dr. Sue Ann Campbell (she/her)

Professor and University Research Chair

Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Waterloo

Waterloo ON N2L 3G1

https://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~sacampbe/

President-Elect, Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society<https://caims.ca/>

I acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo main campus is located on the Haldimand tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.