New Ancient Theater Publication

Sallie Rachel Goetsch sgoetsch at UMICH.EDU
Thu Feb 17 18:29:59 EST 1994

Those of you who teach and produce Greek and Roman drama may be
interested to know about  *DIDASKALIA: ANCIENT THEATER TODAY*,
Volume 1 Issue 1 of which will be published in March (see below).
For submission guidelines or subscription requests, send e-mail to:

didaskalia-editor at classics.utas.edu.au

Subscribers will be entered on a distribution list and notified as each
issue is released.
=============================
*DIDASKALIA: ANCIENT THEATER TODAY*

Sallie Goetsch (Founding Editor)
Oliver Taplin (Consultant)
Ian Worthington (Publisher and Contributing Editor)
Peter Toohey (Publisher and Contributing Editor)
ISSN 1321-4853

The ancient Athenians called their records of the performing arts (music,
dance, and theater) *didaskaliai*. Every year they would inscribe on stone
the victors in the contests of comedy, tragedy, dithyramb and other poetic
competitions.

The Athenians could afford to make all these records after the fact. They
knew when and where to go for drama, dance, and music, because of the
regular schedule of festivals in antiquity. We are not so fortunate today,
and one of the greatest difficulties to devotees of ancient theatre is
finding it.

Now we have our own *Didaskalia*  to inscribe modern productions and
adaptations of Greek and Roman performing arts not in stone but in
cyberspace.  Beginning in March of 1994 (and appearing every other month),
we will provide listings, previews, reviews, features, and resources
pertaining to ancient theatre and its modern incarnations.  It will be
distributed from the University of Tasmania, Australia, under the direction
of Ian Worthington, and may be accessed via ftp or gopher.  Distribution
will be exclusively electronic, in order to provide up-to-the-minute
accuracy and publicise productions in a  timely fashion.

We seek to encourage communication between professionals and amateurs,
between performers and public, between scholars and artists.  *Didaskalia*
will also provide a forum for the airing of complaints and the exchange of
opinions - and a source of answers to questions and solutions to practical
problems.  Our contributors and subscribers range from grade-school
students and their parents to professional opera singers. The collective
experience of our colleagues around the world creates a vast potential for
interdisciplinary dialogue and illumination and can only enhance the
quality of the already fascinating work being done on ancient theatre.

---------
Sallie Goetsch
Department of Classical Studies
2016 Angell Hall