A Proposal, Your Feedback Appreciated

Kathy Kit Yi Chung kychung at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Mon Jul 11 04:15:35 EDT 1994

Hi CanDrama people!

(1/4) PREAMBLE

  I have just received my local commercial theatre promotional
  advertisements re subscriptions & the offerings for the 1994/95
  season.  I have also recently learnt that the Toronto Fringe
  is currently (?) happening.  Being in Vancouver, I am not
  exactly up on theatre happenings across the country.

(2/4) A PROPOSAL: WHAT IS PLAYING IN YOUR TOWN THIS SEASON?

  It occured to me that it might be interesting if people on the
  CANDRAMA list could let each other know what was being offered
  in the main commercial theatres in their town and also what was
  being offered in alternative theatres.  (After all, just for
  starters, here I am staring at my "junk mail" brochures from the
  Vancouver Playhouse and the Arts Club Theatre.)

(3/4) WHY SHOULD YOU PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROPOSED ACTIVITY?

  Some of the benefits I can think of in sharing this
  information are:

   a) It would make the information available to people on
      the list.  Potentially, we can learn about what is
      happening in communities, big and small; with theatre
      companies and houses, mainstream and alternative.

   b) It would give us all a concrete sense that theatre is
      happening across the country and perhaps in other countries.

   c) Those interested in studying the construction of play
      seasons, of what production choices are being made across
      a variety of theatres, geographical locations, target
      audiences, etc. can get some ?inspiration?, ?preliminary
      raw data? whatnaught.

   d) It would give those with nothing better to do at 11 p.m. on
      a summer Sunday night a reason to be staring at their computer
      screen. :-)

(4/4) YOUR FEEDBACK IS INVITED -- ** PLEASE REPLY BY 25 JULY 1994 **

  a) The Proposal:

      In order not to clutter up the mailing list/Internet (say
      with duplicate information or a slew of messages), I
      suggest that people email their offerings *directly to my
      email address (kychung at unixg.ubc.ca)* instead of the CANDRAMA
      and I will summarize the information and then send the
      summary out on the CANDRAMA list.

      (No, I am not a masochist  :-)  I just want to liven up
      this mailing list!)

  b) Your Feedback Requested

      What do people think of this project?
      Can it be done?
      Is there any interest out there?
      Any suggestions for improvements to the proposal?

That's all for now.  Cheers, Kathy.

P.S.  Anything worth raving about from the Toronto Fringe?