Sulerzhitsky in Canada

BOURASSA ANDRE G bourassa.andre_g at UQAM.CA
Tue Nov 29 10:59:17 EST 1994

Does anyone know about Sulerzhitsky (in French Soulerjitski), an =

assistant of Sranislavsky who spent some time in West Canada?  All I know=
 =

is what is revealed in the first volume of Meyerhold (p. 17, 30, 33, =

262-3 and 319 of the French translation).  I wrote a short text on him =

for the next edition of the _Canadian Encyclopedia_ on CD ROM, but some =

informations are still missing and the editor is hesitating.  I think the=
 =

subject is important, especially with those questions recently arised =

about sects. The Russian Ambassy in Ottawa is unable to help me... unless=
 =

they would have archives to investigate.  They told me all they had was a=
 =

mention in an article on Stanislavsky in a Russian encyclopedia.  Noi =

mention there about his presence in Canada
Where and when was Sulerzhitsky born?  Where did he die?  Was he already =

an assistant of Stanislavsky when he was presented to Tolstoi?  Was he =

already implied in theatre?  Where did the first Doukhobors arrive?  =

Through Halifax?  How long did Sulerzhitsky stay in West Canada?  Was his=
 =

participation important in Western politics?  Do people in the West =

aknowledge his work there?
Don't worry about the quality of the English in the following notice; it =

will be revized if the encyclopedia ever publishes it, which is not =

certain if I don't find more.
 =

Sulerzhitsky, Leopold (d 17 Dec 1916)
Sulerzhitsky is mostly remembered for having been the assistant and =

private secretary of Konstantin=CAS. Stanislavsky who founded the Moscow =

Art Theatre in 1897. It is he who assisted Vsevolod=CAE. Meyerhold when =

they were forced by the 1905 young revolutionaries to close the =

Theatre-Studio and who helped some students to join the Art Theatre; he =

who was director of the "The Blue Bird" with Evgeny=CAB. Vakhtangov as an=
 =

assistant in 1908; he who helped Stanislavsky to write down his new =

system in 1909; he who assisted Gordon Craig in the production of =

"Hamlet" in 1911-12; he who was instrumental in the foundation of the =

second Studio in 1913. But it is the same Sulerzhitsky who has been put =

in charge of the DOUKHOBORS when they were taken to Canada in 1898-99. =

This sect, persecuted by the Russian Government because of religious =

beliefs, was protected by Count Lev=CAN. Tolstoi who gave all rights on h=
is =

novel "Resurrection" (1889-99) and gathered money from American and =

English Quakers to help 7,500 to migrate in SASKATCHEWAN. Their leader, =

Peter Verigin, having been emprisoned, Tolstoi had to find someone to =

organize that huge exile; Sulerzhitsky was chosen. He may have stayed in =

Canada until the arrival of Verigin in 1902.

Merci beaucoup!