ATHE NEWS: West African ritual and performance (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at EPAS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Jul 4 20:14:13 EDT 1995

    F.Y.I.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 08:37:12 -0500
From: James Thomas <jthomas at cms.cc.wayne.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list ATHENEWS <ATHENEWS at CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
Subject: ATHE NEWS: West African ritual and performance

------------------------------
From: LoyceA at aol.com
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 20:52:25 -0400
To: athenews at cms.cc.wayne.edu, astr-l at vmd.cso.uiuc.edu,
        perform-l at acfcluster.nyu.edu,
        postcolonial at jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Subject: West African ritual and performance

I am researching West African ritual, (specificaly rituals from Nigeria, Cote
d'Ivoire, Ghana and Senegal,) and its impact on African and African American
theater.  I am looking for directors, playwrights, actors, dancers, scholars,
theatres, and/or designers, etc., who are working in these areas.  I am
especially interested in masking/masquerade.

Questions to begin with:
In what way was ritual used in your production?

Do you have sources for articles, text, scripts, videos, etc., connected to
the performance?  (I have been reading Soyinka's and Walcott's plays, but I
am interested in recent productions).

Are there other African cultures and ritual that I should investigate?  In
particular, cultures who have developed their rituals/traditional performance
into "theater?"  (Not necessarily  theater as it is understood in
Euro/Western terms.)

Are there sources online that I should investigate?

Please contact me at LoyceA at aol.com
or
Loyce Arthur
1306 N. Frazier St