ATHE95 Conference (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at EPAS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Jul 18 15:41:55 EDT 1995

    F. Y. I.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 16:01:15 -0500
From: James Thomas <jthomas at cms.cc.wayne.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list ATHENEWS <ATHENEWS at CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
Subject: ATHE95 Conference

        Association for Theatre in Higher Education Annual Conference

           * * * * * GATEWAYS TO THE NEXT MILLENNIUM * * * * *

                             August 9-12, 1995
                             The Fairmont Hotel
                                950 Mason St
                       San Francisco, CA  94108-9801

              For more information contact ATHE Headquarters:
                     71005.1134 at compuserve.com or call
                    (312) 541-2066 or fax (312) 541-1271

        As we approach the millennium, history nips at our heels while
before us lie the challenges of teaching theatre amid technology's rush.
This year's national ATHE conference in San Francisco, "Gateways to the
Next Millennium," promises to give us the tools we need to stay abreast
of the constant change in our culture, our art, and our practice.

        Although the word "millennium" resonates as a symbol to many
people, it may be seen as another station on a long voyage.  In our work,
we use the conscious and the unconscious, the world we see around us and
the memory of those who came before.  The act of creating theatre is, as
ever, an affirmation that connects us to each other and sustains our
humanity.

        It is appropriate, then, that we celebrate the accomplishments of
two of our own at this forward-looking national conference.  Ellen
Stewart, founder and producer of La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club, has
been named this year's recipient of the Career Achievement Award for
Professional Theatre.  Ms. Stewart's exploration of the connections
fostered by theatre has led her to many countries, where she often
established affiliated La MaMa groups.  You won't want to miss seeing her
in San Francisco.

        Marvin Carlson, Sidney Cohn Professor of Theatre at the City
University of New York Graduate Center, will receive the Career
Achievement Award for Academic Theatre.  The author of countless articles
and books, Mr. Carlson is a frequent and generous participant in many of
the activities of ATHE.  In bestowing upon him the George Jean Nathan
Award for dramatic criticism, the award committee cited an essay that
"was felt by the committee to be the most illuminating single piece of
theatre criticism this year."

        The incomparable JoAnne Akalaitis - herself a beneficiary of
Ellen Stewart's efforts - will deliver this year's keynote address.  A
founding member of Mabou Mines, Ms. Akalaitis has worked with many of the
finest theatre companies in the United States.  Her extensive experience
includes work with the San Francisco Mime Troupe, the Actors Workshop,
the Guthrie Theatre, the American Repertory Theatre, the Mark Taper Forum
Lincoln Center, and the New York Shakespeare Festival.

        "Gateways" is a tremendous opportunity to meet with the leaders
of our profession, to renew friendships, and to charge creative
batteries.  On successive nights there will be *free* performances by El
Teatro de la Esperanza, San Francisco Mime Troupe, and Split Britches
Theatre.  The conference will culminate with a Saturday evening banquet
and a performance by California's Dell'Arte Players. Distinguished guests,
free performances, hundreds of sessions and workshops - what more could
we need?  Only You.