theatre-quality of life

Walter Cassidy cassidy at UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU
Tue Mar 7 17:59:50 EST 1995

Dear Elizabeth,
        One region that I think and this is only personal observation is
Edmonton.  If I understand it correctly Edmonton has gone through many
positve steps because of its theatre and the Finge of course is now a
historical landmark.  Maybe trying a Fringe theatre envirment would be
good.  It is low cost and you get shows from all over Canada and the
world pluse having your own and other local groups perform.  The space
could be the centre for the festival.  Granted it is only for a short
time, but it will get people to the theatre.  And of course a Beer tent
is always needed.  Pluse, it is a unique National Canadian Theatre
Festival.  I have done the Fringe in Montreal.  The best time I ever had.
        I hope this is sumwhat helpful.
        Windsor Ont, has there Feminist theatre that is (that I
understand) the oldest Feminist theatre in the Country.  Windsor being a
border city  they are dieing to find CanCon.  That why Windsor was so
upset when CBC pulled out of Windsor it was the only local TV in the city
al the rest were American.  We seem to not like to look at ourselves
very  much culturely but if we have no access to this what are we
culturely?  The arts is the mirror to the culture.
        I can not speak on a ecomical level but I do believe that
Windsor's theatre is going very well.
I hoped I helped.
walter cassidy
University of Hawaii at Manoa