International Play Development Program

Dan Zellner studioz at MCS.COM
Thu Mar 9 22:41:43 EST 1995

ATTN: Universities,Play Development Organizations, Playwrights

STUDIO Z, a nonprofit play development organization based in Chicago,
is in the process of designing an International play development program
utilizing the Internet. We are hoping for your feedback in order to see
if our program is of interest to those in the theatre community.

Our program is outlined below. Please take a minute to answer the three
questions that follow. Your help is greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at studioz at mcs.com

We look forward to hearing from you.

Dan Zellner - Artistic Producer
Bryan Garey - Artistic Director

Studio Z has a history of working with artists all over the world using
the Internet. Our "Voices From Down Under" series featuring Australian
playwrights garnered enormous attention in Chicago last year. Recently,
"The Monologue Show" (a program for television featuring pieces by
playwrights from across the globe) aired in Chicago and will soon be
viewed worldwide on the Internet. Studio Z has been invited to present
its work at the upcoming ATHE conference in San Francisco.

Our new program:

THE PLAYWRIGHT IN ELECTRONIC RESIDENCE

This program involves the selection of a limited number of promising
international playwrights. Synopses of their works would be given to
participating universities and theatres for consideration. The host
institution would then select a play for development and a workshop
would be arranged with Studio Z serving as facilitator. The program
is named "Playwright in Electronic Residence" because the host and
the playwright would be in communication via e-mail throughtout the
process. There would be set guidelines and ground rules for the workshops
and various levels of workshops would be available to the hosts:from a
simple reading to full production.

We envision that as the program grows, an international network of
organizations would be established. This network would allow for new
levels of cultural exchange and exiting new collaboration possibilities.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Questions for Universities and Theatres

1. Is the "Playwright in Electronic Residence Program" something that might
   be useful to your organization? Why? Why not?

2. What suggestions would you make to help this program fit your needs and
   desires?

3. When does your organization plan its season of programs?

Questions for Playwrights?

1. Would this program appeal to you? Why? Why not?

2. As a playwright, what are your primary concerns in the play development
   workshop process?

3. Suggestions for the program?

Please forward your comments to studioz at mcs.com

Thank you.