Theatre in Windsor

Walter Cassidy wcassidy at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Aug 23 22:20:35 EDT 1996

I just thoughtt I drop a note I have been in Windsor for the past few
months doing research in Theatre in Windsor.  I have found some
interesting stuff including amateur companies in 1847 and 1868, pluse,
finding areferance of a canadian play being produced in 1897 entitled
Lost Lovers.
        I am  still having trouble finding theatre way back including
Garrick theatre, which in this area would be Fort Malden, and also early
French theatre.  I can't seem to find info about them here.  Because I am
a student and this my first attempt at going back that far in Canadian
theatre does any be willing to give me some lead where I would find
this.  Windsor does not have the archives for them  And Fort Malden
doesn't even know where to find all their old stuff.

And this brings up a question.  Detriot has some info on the French etc
put would this be considered Canadian Theatre history?  At the time the
lines or Nations where not drawn and the Windsor-Detroit area were very
close too eachother in relation to culture before the borders were
drawn.  If theatre found in the Detroit before the forming of U.S.A.
exsisteed and Windsor wich did not exist but Sandwich did etc and it
would be like no difference then going to the suburbs of Toronto. If I
border was created around Toronto today would theatre before that time
would no not be considered  part of Toronto.  I guess I am not making
myself clear but it is something inteesting I have been thinking about
specially that Windsor really being a suburb of Detroit many years ago,
before an offical border was created.  For many year Windsor-Detroit had
no border and was simply taking the boat across, with out worrying about
customs.
        Maybe this to easy of a question and I am nissing something.
Any Thoughts?
walter cassidy