Oldies but goodies: Vancouver...

james hoffman jhoffman at CARIBOO.BC.CA
Mon Aug 26 13:50:29 EDT 1996

At 08:59 AM 8/24/96 -0600, David Millar wrote:
>The debate on _Marsh Hay_ reminded me that there are a lot of interesting
>old plays which open a window on life & culture in each region -- exactly
>what I am trying to put together for a new Canadian Studies course for
>bilingual students.
>
>Can each CANDRAMA member suggest one or two?

David,
For Vancouver, I suggest George Ryga's The Ecstasy of Rita Joe, so alive
with the life of that city in the late sixties, so exciting in the work of
the Playhouse Theatre under Malcolm Black and Joy Coghill, and so
breathtaking in the collaboration between Ryga, George Bloomfield, Chief Dan
George, Frances Hyland and August Schellenberg.

Jim Hoffman, Theatre Program, University College of the Cariboo
Box 3010, Kamloops, British Columbia, V2C 5N3
Phone: 604-828-5315  E-Mail: jhoffman at cariboo.bc.ca