an old Canadian play: Marsh Hay

Raymond Louter oedipus at REDEEMER.ON.CA
Mon Aug 26 16:13:27 EDT 1996

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Richard Plant wrote:

> Alan and Denis' comments urge me to add a brief one of my own. I remember
> a professional director speaking to my theory class saying something to
> the effect that there really was nothing to talk about in the way of
> theory for directing. One learns by doing it.

This is true of course. One cannot expect to learn an art by reading a
book or two. It would be rather short-sighted to conclude that because
one has not identified one's own theoretical approach that there is
therefore NO theory at all. People have the remarkable tendency to act
out of a marvellously complex world-view without acknowledging it.

There is considerable truth in that view. But, the statement also
> represents a theory which informs that director's approach. My thought is
> that if people engaged in theatre --I include those involved in
> academic activity as well as those who create the actual theatre
> performances and those who are the audiences -- were to be more conscious
> of, explore, question, share their "theories" of performance, we would have a theatre
> with even more resonance than now exists.

Amen and amen

Raymond Louter
Theatre Arts Department
Redeemer College