access to archives

JONES, SALLY L afslj2 at UAA.ALASKA.EDU
Mon Dec 2 16:45:04 EST 1996

Dear Richard,
Regarding "advertising" value of Stratford research: Same thought occured
to me as I read about the problem.  Maybe we should all stop writing
about Stratford and tell them to hire their own writer/researchers to
write and publicize their history--at least for its PR purposes.
Seriously, I can understand their frustration at news corporations and
magazines, but surely they might be able to distinguish between those who
would "profit" by their use of the information versus those who don't get
paid for their research but are adding to Canadian cultural history or to
better world understanding of Canadian culture.  Maybe they could be
convinced to waive the fee for students and academics?  Of course those
of us who are term contracts and sessionals would be screwed again, but
hey, it would help in someway.  I've never paid for any of the archives
I've used in the U.S. and would never go into one that I had to pay for.
The Players Club is a private club, but even it doesn't charge.  Well,
keep up the fight.
Sally Jones