Gunmetal Blues review

Eric Grace esg at ISLANDNET.COM
Mon Feb 5 13:30:26 EST 1996

>Glen Nichols wrote:

>Is money really the problem, or is it the use of it, the vision behind
>the money, that counts?

I agree with your point that the overproduced moneymakers that bring large
audiences to the theatre can be dull by comparison with some small and
amateur productions. (I thought Cats was boring and haven't bothered going
to Phantom, Les Miz and all the rest so I may be wrong).  Perhaps it's the
difference between speactacle and what I think of as theatre. The
razzamataz overhwelms the human scale of emotions I think, that you can get
from a good stage production (and not only in a small theatre.) Less is
more. But then there are those who find opera moving.

Eric Grace
(Victoria B.C.)