Gunmetal Blues review

Glen Nichols Glen_Nichols at UQAC.UQUEBEC.CA
Fri Feb 2 11:42:40 EST 1996

Now we're getting some review action. I think it's great to share your
views, especially complementing them with the "letter" point of view as well.

The thesis that money was the missing factor in the production intrigued
me. I think there is lots of room here for a discussion on this position.
Surely we've all seem high-priced (overproduced??) shows that were dull,
dull, dull (my pet peeve here is Phantom...., but there are lots of
others), whereas smaller, shoestring productions (even, heavens forbid,
amateur productions) have been some of the most intense and theatrically
satisfying experiences (for example, the Fringe selections often include
'amazing' new works among the dross).

Is money really the problem, or is it the use of it, the vision behind
the money, that counts?

I hope we can keep up the "momentum" of these nascent discussions. Let's
make use of this technology to enhance our cultural connectedness....

Till later..
Glen