Macbeth--Pacific Theatre (Vancouver)

Richard Sutherland Richard_Sutherland at MINDLINK.BC.CA
Tue Feb 13 12:10:29 EST 1996

Other than Stoppard's works, this was my first exposure to the the
mini-Shakespeare craze that seems to be sweeping the US (if the internet
postings are reliable). In less than 100 minutes (no intermission), five
actors of the Pacific Theatre presented a somewhat truncated (but entirely
credible) version of the play that, according to theatre superstition, dare
not speak its name. Directed by Kevin Williamson, Artistic Director of the
English Suitcase Theatre Company, the production relies on minimal staging
(the only set piece was a throne which was whisked on and off the stage) and
a clever patching together of the text (scenes with Fleance and Macduff's
wife cut entirely) to achieve its effect. The result was a fast-moving,
seamless production that flowed smoothly from scene to scene.

Unfortunately (you knew there was going to be a but, didn't you?), the
acting talents of the young Pacific Theatre ensemble were not up to the
challenge of the concept. Although I quite liked Erla Faye Forsyth's Lady
Macbeth, the other members of the cast struggled by and large with the
rhythms and cadences (and consequently the meaning) of the verse. Although
J. P. Allen (Macbeth)seemed to know where he was going with his character,
his lack of vocal resources undermined his effort. His vocal production,in
fact, seemed entirely locked in his throat--so much so that at times, like
some rock singers I've heard, I began to fear for his vocal cords.

Which brings me to one of my pet peeves, although somewhat out of the
context of this review--the apparent lack of vocal training among so many of
our young actors. Has the concept of placing the voice in the mask become a
discredited technique? One would hope not. At times last night I began to
long for the well-trained, plummy tones that so many British actors seem to
master to effortlessly.

OK, rant over (but not forgotten). Thumbs up for effort, thumbs down for
technique. Macbeth at the Pacific Theatre, 1420 West 12th Ave., Feb 9-24.

Your industrious (two reviews in one week!) Vancouver reporter,

Richard Sutherland