Macbeth--Pacific Theatre (Vancouver)

Glen Nichols Glen_Nichols at UQAC.UQUEBEC.CA
Tue Feb 13 17:04:36 EST 1996

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Richard Sutherland wrote:

> Other than Stoppard's works, this was my first exposure to the the
> mini-Shakespeare craze that seems to be sweeping the US (if the internet
> postings are reliable). In less than 100 minutes (no intermission), five
> actors of the Pacific Theatre presented a somewhat truncated (but entirely
> credible) version of the play that, according to theatre superstition, dare
> not speak its name. Directed by Kevin Williamson, Artistic Director of the

I'm interested in adaptations and was intrigued to read your description
of yet another version of Macbeth.  What I don't understand is  WHY the
adaptation?  Was it just a question of trying to fit a particular time
slot? or were there "aesthetic" reasons for the adaptation.  I'm very
interested in hearing more about this.....

Glen