Summer Seminar, Call for Paper, Centre Openning (fwd)

Kathy Chung kchung at EPAS.UTORONTO.CA
Sat Jan 13 12:06:41 EST 1996

Hello All!

I was passing this info to Drama Centre students via email due to a
temporary removal of our bulletin boards and though I might as well send
it to your too!  Please feel free to fwd this to others or to print
it out and share with fellow students and colleagues.

I have made all attempts to proof the text for typos.  If something seems
wrong, please notify me and I will correct it.

*** Start of Announcements ***

(1/3) PERFOMATIVE SUBJECTIVITIES: AGENTS, BODIES, IDENTITIES.

1996 Penn State Summer Seminar in Theory and Culture
25-29 June 1996

Seminars and Leaders include:

"Aversive Identities: The Performance of Poetic Politics" - Charles Bernstein

"Screening the Live Body: Performativity and the End of Print Culture" -
    Sue-Ellen Case

"Affect and Performativity" - Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick.

** For brochure, call: 1-800-PSU-TODAY
   For information about program content, contact Prof. Jeffrey Nealon,
        CMS209 at psuvm.psu.edu

(2/3) VICTORIAN SPECTACLE: AN INTERDISCIPLINARY CONFERENCE

** Call for Papers **  Deadline: 15 Feb 1996

Conference: 1-4 August 1996
            University of California, Santa Cruz.

Topics include:

* Victorian Theatricality - performers, theatre technologies, melodramatic
      imagination, musical spectacle

* Visual Spectacle - 19th C. painting, realism & spectacle, parades,
      pageants

* Spectacle and Culture - museums, circuses, exhibitions, science, spectacle
       of empire

* The Spectacle of the Self - hysteria, monomania, staging the self,
      privacy, publicity, scandal, * Representing Spectacle

* Representing Spectacle - novelist's display, history & spectacle,
      mystery and illusion

* Spectacle on Holiday -  leisure & spectacle, Christmas & other pageants,
      travel, otherness

Direct questions to: Professor Helena Michie, michie at rice.edu

(3/3) CULTURAL STUDIES COLLOQUIUM, CULTURAL STUDIES CENTRE, U OF GUELPH

The new research Centre for Cultural Studies/Centre d'etudes sur la
culture will be officially opened on 16 Jan 1996 at the launching of the
second annual Cultural Studies Colloquium at U of Guelph.  This year's
colloquium will be on:

    "The Politics of Representation/Politique de la representation"

The 1996 colloquium features numerous lectures and roundtables over a
three week period in January and February.  Speakers will include, on 16
Jan 1996, Dr Linda Hutcheon (English & Comp. Lit, U of T) and Dr Michael
Hutcheon, M.D.  (Div. Director of Respirology at Toronto Hospital) on "The
Pox and the Prostitute: Gender, Sexuality and Disease in Art, Opera, and
Medicine."

For further information, call 1-519-824-4142, ext. 2991 or 3839.