Reviews

Reid Gilbert rgilbert at HUBCAP.MLNET.COM
Wed Jan 17 16:56:36 EST 1996

I think the idea of mini-reviews is an excellent one. I am particularly
interested to see promises of reviews of Morris Panych's __Vigil__ in Toronto
since the show opened here in Vancouver to good reviews and was held over.
As some of you know, I follow Morris Panych's career.

My thoughts on the Vancouver production?  I wanted to love the show (as many
reviewers did) because it is, in concept, a terrific idea.  It is very funny
and it challenges notions of what can be the subject of comedy--in this case,
old age and death.  But, somehow, I didn't love the show.  It was, in its
original production here, too long, especially the first Act and the device
of very funny blackouts was repeated too often. Panych made one respond with
genuine laughter (and then guilt over one's laughter) but, after a while, the
audience tired of this formula.  I understand from Morris that the Act has
been shortened and reworked in the Toronto production, so this may not be
problem for those who see the show there.

The ending of the show is very clever and took most people by surprise.

The characterization of the protagonist wasn't sufficiently developed for me.
 It seemed that a number of issues which were meant to explain his cynicism
and hatred of humanity (child abuse among others) weren't really elaborated.
A number of comments on his childhood cross-dressing and homosexuality seemed
gratuitous: nothing was really made of them.  Panych has before introduced
gay characters and then not really allowed them to make any political
statements (his children's show __T B What U R__ is an example); I think he
does this again.

All that said: the acting was excellent, Ken MacDonald's set terrific, the
quirky, relentless, slow progression towards what turns out to be a surprise
ending was wonderfully crafted.  The play needs some work, I think, but has
the promise of being a major piece.  It is a new direction for Panych and, I
think, his best play since  __Seven Stories__.  Perhaps some bugs were out by
the Toronto production.  I'd be interested to know.

The Playhouse is currently showing a workpersonlike production of __The
Crucible__ which isn't very innovative, but is professional, with some
excellent acting by a cast ranging from students  to veteran actors. It is a
relief to see a sound production at the Playhouse which has not, in the past
year or two, achieved anything like the success it achieved in the previous
five years.   The last show, __The Importance of Being Earnest__ managed to
be dull--not easy for that show.

The Arts Club opened __The Passion of Dracula_ tonight (more Gen X
vampires!!.  I haven't seen it yet.)

Reid Gilbert