Urgent help

Andy Grewar GREWAR at UFHCC.UFH.AC.ZA
Mon Jun 24 14:30:43 EDT 1996

On Sat 22 June, Peter Barabas <barabas at PROTV.KAPPA.RO> wrote:

> Hello from a frantic Romanian student!
> I am doing a thorough paper on "The Clowns/Jesters in Shakespeare's
> Plays"-their role, how they participate in the development of the plot.
> I desperately need to study researches of the kind. I am terribly heavy
> on time and I stand totally confused faced with the infinity of the
> Internet. Is there any way that I may study  works on this topic from
> you.
> I am a student in English Literature at the University of Bucharest,
> Romania, Europe.
> Thank you very much!
> Peter Barabas

Here is a short bibliography that might help you:

Brooks, Harold S. "Two Clowns in a Comedy (to say nothing of the
     Dog): Speed, Launce (and Crab) in The Two Gentlemen of
     Verona." _Essays and Studies_ n.s. 16 (1963): 91-100.

Butler, Guy. "Shakespeare and Two Jesters." _Hebrew University
     Studies in Literature and the Arts_ 11.2 (1983): 161-204.

Evans, Gareth Lloyd. "Shakespeare's Fools: The Shadow and the
     Substance of Drama." In _Shakespearian Comedy_, Stratford-
     upon-Avon Studies 14, eds. Malcolm Bradbury and David
     Palmer. London: Arnold, 1972, pp. 142-59.

Gill, Roma. "`Such Conceits as Clownage Keeps in Pay': Comedy and
     Dr. Faustus." In _The Fool and the Trickster: Essays in
     Honour of Enid Welsford_. Ed. Paul V.A. Williams. Cambridge:
     Brewer, 1979/Totowa, N.J.: Rowman & Littlefield, 1979, pp.
     55-63.

Goldsmith, Robert Hillis. _Wise Fools in Shakespeare_. Liverpool:
     Liverpool University Press, 1958.

Grewar, Andrew. "The Clowning Zanies: Shakespeare and the Actors
     of the Commedia dell'Arte." In _Studies in the Commedia dell'
     Arte_. Eds. David George and Christopher Gossip. Cardiff:
     University of Wales Press, 1993, pp. 9-32.

Levin, Richard. "Elizabethan 'Clown' Subplots." _Essays in
     Criticism_ 16 (1966): 84-91.

Steele, Eugene Joseph. "Verbal lazzi in Shakespeare's Plays."
     _Italica_ 53 (Summer 1976): 214-22.

-------. "Shakespeare, Goldoni and the Clowns." _Comparative Drama_
     11 (Fall 1977): 209-226.

Wiles, David. _Shakespeare's Clown: Actor and Text in the
     Elizabethan Playhouse_. Cambridge: Cambridge University
     Press, 1987.

Willeford, William. _The Fool and His Sceptre: A Study in Clowns
     and Jesters and their Audience_. London: Arnold, 1969.

I hope this is of some help.  Best of luck with your research.

Andy Grewar         Academic Development Centre,
                    University of Fort Hare,
                    Alice, East Cape, South Africa
                    e-mail: Grewar at ufhcc.ufh.ac.za